In partnership with CBSSports.com
Online Now 1509
Online now 1733 Record: 9097 (3/2/2012)
The No. 1 'Bama fan community on the Internet
BOL message board for off-topic posts
Tailgating, recipes, cooking, food & drink
Buy, sell or swap tickets
You have no favorite boards.
The most viewed topics.
The most replied to topics.
The most up-voted topics.
The most down-voted topics.
The most up-voted posters.
The most down-voted posters.
The most followed posters.
Guys keep in mind safety is important. You are on a mission to serve your brothers and sisters in need, but getting injured will not help anyone.
1. Wear appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE); i.e closed toe shoes/boots, gloves, long pants, safety glasses, ear plugs if running a saw or near one.
2. Work in pairs, don't venture off alone.
3. Do not step on debris, especially boards of any kind and shingles, as stepping on a nail is a high risk for injury.
4. Lift with your legs, never your back.
5. Watch what you grab to pick-up or move, especially if it's housing debris; nails, sharp edges, and splinters are common.
Depending on the number you have you may need to split up to be most effective. I've found for every chainsaw operator you may need two to three pullers (carrying the limbs and trunks to the road) If you can't do physical work, churches and help centers need people sorting clothing and food. Saturday I took a 58-person crew to Hackleburg and the sorrounding areas. Keep in mind, most of the volunteers will report to Tuscaloosa, which needs a lot of help. But l;ike we learned Saturday there are little communities of the map that need help very badly. We discovered a Church in the Mt. Olive area that lacked any sort of relief supplies. IAnd no one had been in their area for assistance. We spent the entire day there doing clean-up, tree trimming, and delivering supplies.
Point: Any of you can help! Get some degree of organization, partner with some a larger group (church, work, or other group) and lastley, mobilize- AT some point you can't wait on the people in charge to pass out assignments becasue they are overwhelmed.
247Sports In partnership with CBS Sports