In partnership with CBSSports.com
Online Now 3886
Online now 1431 Record: 9097 (3/2/2012)
The No. 1 'Bama fan community on the Internet
BOL message board for off-topic posts
Tailgating, recipes, cooking, food & drink
Buy, sell or swap tickets
You have no favorite boards.
The most viewed topics.
The most replied to topics.
The most up-voted topics.
The most down-voted topics.
The most up-voted posters.
The most down-voted posters.
The most followed posters.
From another poster:
Ten Reasons Michigan Wins
Sorry, but there is no need for pessimism. This is a great opportunity for Michigan and the Wolverines really have nothing to lose.
1) Because we are Michigan and we are prepared for this game. All the reasons below shouldn’t matter in the face of the fact that our kids practice too, our kids prepare too, our kids work hard as well and because our coaches are amongst the best in the nation.
2) Because Denard Robinson is the type of player who makes Nick Saban afraid. When Saban says he is the best player he’ll face all year, he is dead serious. Anyone who doesn’t realize how dangerous a healthy Denard Robinson is is out of their minds. The kid is a once-in-a-generation type of athlete. But besides that, Alabama struggles when they can’t “play fast”. Multi-purpose QBs like Robinson and Cam Newton are very tough to defend against because of the added dimensions they bring to a game. The only way to beat a Nick Saban defense is to slow them down on the field and having a player like Denard instantly causes linebackers and safeties to hesitate as we have seen over the years.
3) Alabama has no pass rush. That’s not who they are. They had one seriou threat to rush the passer last year: Courtney Upshaw (9.5 sacks). Dont’a Hightower and Nick Gentry both had 4 sacks (both gone). After that: nothing. C.J. Mosley had 2 and everyone else had less than that. Denard won’t have a clean pocket, per se, but the best way to defend against Denard has been collapsing the pocket around him and playing tight man coverage behind. VTech and Michigan State had the defensive lines and secondary talent to allow them to do this. As strange as this sounds, Alabama may not (though the secondary does have some potential star talent).
4) Speaking of coaching, Alabama does have a new offensive coordinator. It always takes a little time for these things to work out; even if it is just a little.
5) Again, speaking of coaching, Borges is the type of coach that can pull a lot of rabbits out of his hat for a game like this. Now that he has an experienced team, I expect to see a lot more chicanery.
6) They are not a difficult offense to scheme against, but they are difficult to execute against. I guarantee a loss will not be because we were outcoached on D.
7) On defense, Courtney Upshaw, Dre Kirkpatrick, and Mark Barron aren’t replaceable. Expecting sophomore Vinny Sunseri, JC transfer Deion Belue, and Xzavier Dickson to simply “step up” for the team’s three best defenders is ridiculous (Upshaw in particular for reasons explained).
8) Last year’s leading receivers for Bama: Marquis Maze-56 Brad Smelley-34 Trent Richardson-29 Darius Hanks-26
Number of those players returning: 0
A.J. McCarron is good at finding open guys underneath, but is not someone who is going to pick UM apart downfield.
9) You can’t replace experience, even if you can replace talent. Jake Ryan is an incredible player but how many games did it take him? Fitz Toussaint may not have been our best back until he stepped up during the season. Can’t buy experience. Getting them in Week 1 is a LOT better than getting them in Week 10. Our team outside of anyone on the defensive line not named Craig Roh has been set since last year for the most part. Alabama’s depth chart is going to look very different by Week 10, I can almost guarantee that.
10) Eddie Lacy isn’t healthy and he is by far their most dangerous skill position player.
BTW key play for Michigan: Being able to run PA out of the zone read. If we can do that successfully, I think we are good.
377 votes total
Im glad to see them so pumped up. It makes it that much better when Bama stomps that a$$!
So much fail in that list I don't even know where to begin. Can't wait for the meltdown thread next week. Gonna have a bunch of sad sad UM fans on it...should be good.
"VTech and Michigan State had the defensive lines and secondary talent to allow them to do this. As strange as this sounds, Alabama may not (though the secondary does have some potential star talent). " Bama has inferior defensive lines & secondary talent than VTech & Michigan State? News to me!
Never Gets Old
I live the reasoning on the number 1 reason why they should win: "Because we are Michigan"
Our DL is inferior? These guys are idiots.
University of Alabama: The high mark of college football since 1892
Looking at sack stats to convince themselves we have no rush. Our D doesn't work that way as they will soon find out.
Did he happen to take a gander at how many pass yards and points we gave up, even with our anemic pass rush? Lulz.
post has more holes in it than travis henrys condom
I stopped reading after he said Nick Saban is scared of Denard Robinson.
It's as if this guy's analysis of our defense is based solely on what our returning starters accomplished last year, nevermind the fact that he totally disregards the talent of the new guys stepping in. When you reload, assignments change. So using a player's numbers from last year is not an exact forecast of his production this year because his job will be different. For example, if Don'ta is on the field, nico and cj will not have his production bc their job is different from his. If Don'ta is not on the team, their production changes bc their job changes.
Just really a thoughtless analysis in my opinion.
Thanks for posting. I needed a good chuckle this afternoon...
And hasn't Saban even gone on the record that sack stats are basically a meaningless sportcenter-hype stat that is not reflective of a defense's production? I think QB hurries would be significantly more meaningful in our defense (or any defense for that matter).
#3 really makes my blood boil... Welp guess they'll find out the hard way. A combo of Aussie, Hubbard, Dickson, Square, Stinson, etc is going to be nasty.
Not that we're going to be teeing off on Denard because that leaves him running lanes.
Collapsing the pocket around Denard is the best strategy plus its going to be this defensive line's strength IMO
That's what we do best on defense. Does anyone know how many yards Cam got running the ball on is in 2010? It was 37. He was averaging well over 100yrds rushing and his lowest output all year was 50 against MSU. We also stuffed Tebow. Saban knows how to contain a dual threat QB probably better than anyone in the business. The only way Shoelaces scores any points is if over the summer he learned how to pass like Peyton Manning.
A 6 yr old could figure this game out. In football, the bigger faster stronger teams usually win. Alabama is bigger faster and stronger than Michigan. We have guys on our 2nd and in some cases 3rd strings that would start for them. He made some decent points........but even if you grant them those points, Alabama still wins.
Las Vegas knows everything he just said. Guess who they still have as a 13-14 pt favorite?
Man I don't even know where to start with these comments
Cant wait to see the outcome of the game and the reaction that comes along with it...
Don't even try. Seriously. Just zap that ish straight from your brain and move on.
That guy says a bunch of stupid things, but from the outside looking in he probably believes a lot of that at this point. He won't after Saturday night. It would be tough to figure out 10 reasons why Mich wins, for anyone.
If I'm Michigan though, I'm absolutely loving this game. Not because I think Mich will win but it kind of sets up perfectly for them. They have a great new coach who is trying to instill a lot qualities in his team. They are coming off a great season for them and are looking to take the next step as a program. If BAMA wins by 2+ TD's he'll come out of this with a lot of ways to positively re-inforce some qualities in his guys. They will all know how much work they need to put in to get on our level and how far they are from it. If they keep it close he can rally his troops with a "moral victory" and hopefully win the Big 10 and stay focused on the future. If they somehow pull out a miracle W they have a real shot to shoot up the polls and make a run at a NCG appearance. It would almost guarantee another BCS game appearance. I think we win by 3 TD's but that really won't reflect poorly on Mich to pollsters and the general public because of where our program is and has been. Just my thoughts
No problem, I chuckled myself.
I wonder how many of our boys are scared because they 'are Michigan'...I'll put the over/under at 0...
hope we dominate those jokers Saturday!
So we cant replace our starters but they can? Ok.
247Sports In partnership with CBS Sports