In partnership with CBSSports.com
The No. 1 'Bama fan community on the Internet
BOL message board for off-topic posts
Tailgating, recipes, cooking, food & drink
Buy, sell or swap tickets
You have no favorite boards.
The most viewed topics.
The most replied to topics.
The most up-voted topics.
The most down-voted topics.
The most up-voted posters.
The most down-voted posters.
The most followed posters.
Saw this done somewhere else for another coach and thought it might be interesting to look back. There are plenty of wins to choose from.
Here's my list:
1) Alabama 21, LSU 0 (2011) - The definitive "Make their azz quit" game. Absolute domination from start to finish against what may have been the most talented LSU team ever. Brent Musberger called it "a mauling folks, a mauling."
2) Alabama 32, Florida 13 (2009) - The day Alabama took over control of the SEC from Florida and essentially ended the Tebow/Urban era, ushering in the one we're in now.
3) Alabama 37, Texas 21 (2009) - The culmination of Saban's first national title season in the Rose Bowl. A truly dominant game that was more lopsided than the score indicated, with Texas making a late run.
4) Alabama 32, Georgia 28 (2012) - Probably the most thrilling game of the Saban era. Will be regarded as one of the greatest college football games of all time down the road, I'd imagine.
5) Alabama 41, Georgia 30 (2008) - This was the dawn of our dominance as a program. With consideration of the Clemson game a few weeks prior, this was probably the first time we truly looked "scary" under Saban. 31-0 and the blackout/funeral had commenced. We coasted late but this was a thorough butt-kicking against a team with Stafford, Moreno, Green, etc. Julio's coming out party/
6) Alabama 49, Michigan State 7 (2010) - The "what might have been game." I feel safe saying this was the most thorough dismantling I've ever seen between two evenly-matched teams. We brutalized them to a point where I almost hoped they'd call the game for fear we'd actually kill someone. Saban was visibly upset when Lacy tacked on another TD late on a long run. Gold. An otherwise meaningless bowl game if not for the sheer beatdown aspect of it.
7) Alabama 21, LSU 17 (2012) - Again, another absolutely thrilling game this season topped only by the UGA comeback. McCarron to Yeldon will be known forever.
8) Alabama 36, Auburn 0 (2008) - Saban ended the Streak and processed Tubs all in one night. Sheer joy and absolute domination after years of agony.
9) Alabama 24, Arkansas 20 (2010) - Hate to include another 2010 game on here, but this really was an epic win. We were primed for a loss and somehow gutted it out and stole it late in Fayetteville. Among the most exciting, gut-wrenching wins we've had under CNS but sometimes forgotten.
10) Alabama 27, LSU 21/OT (2008) - Saban's first win against LSU. Saban's first SEC West title at Bama. Almost gave it away but Rashad Johnson picked off LSU in OT and JPW back-shouldered Julio on a beautiful pass to set up the sneak.
Thoughts? There were plenty of others that could've made the list. Tough call to pick 10 when you go 60-7 over the course of 5 years. A couple in 2007 almost made the list, but weren't among the best IMO.
I enjoyed the last two Iron Bowls. I like your picks as well,
Good list. I would have to put Bama - Clemson 2008 in there somewhere. For me, that is where this run all started. That was the opening scene that put the rest of the country on notice. The physicality and brute force that was exhibited in that game set the tone and standard for each team since then.
It's not the will to win, but the will to prepare to win that makes the difference.
-Coach Bear Bryant
Awesome list. Really hard to argue with any of them or the order you ranked them. Others receiving votes would have to include 2009 UT and LSU. Losing those would have seriously impacted #'s 2 and 3 above.
Yep. I had it down to that or the UGA game from that year and went with the Blackout. But I agree completely, I was at the Clemson game and we put on a show. That was the night that first full class was on display as well, and we saw the future unfold before our eyes.
Nobody knew what to expect against Clemson. Nobody knew to expect a complete thrashing against UGA between the hedges. Both were awesome!
I love beating *U, UT, and LSU's a**es more than anything but Clemson was pretty big in more ways than just getting a win. Saban proved he definitely had a plan by getting that game lined up.
Excellent list and can't really argue with any of them. The 2009 Iron Bowl could be added to the list though, but there are so many good ones who would you bump?
Not only that, but the 2009 Iron Bowl too.
I thought the last minute drive over Arkansas jpw to cadell in the endzone was quietly huge because it said "hey we can do this"
Top 15 IMO
1. LSU 2011
2. Florida 2009
3. Texas 2009
4. UGA 2012
5. LSU 2012
6. LSU 2009
7. AU 2009
8. UGA 2008
9. Mich St 2010
10. LSU 2008
11. Clemson 2008
12. TN 2009
13. AU 2008
14. VT 2009
15. FL 2010
#1 a loss? unless you mean the championship game for the 2011 season. (bama played lsu twice in 2012)
This post was edited by bamainexile 19 months ago
I'd swap your 3 & 1 spots
remove #6, and at #10 (once you moved everything up from having removed #6) insert barn game from '09.
This post has been edited 2 times, most recently by TIODP 19 months ago
Praying we don't blow this for fear of friends retribution:
Holy crap we are good:
10 Michigan State
I will rank mine by significance:
(1) BCS 2009 Texas--it marked without out a doubt we had finally come back.
(2) BCS 2011 LSU--2 times
(3) UGA 2008--by far the most important non-title game because it was the clue we were back. It completely changed the direction of the program.
(4) SECCG 2009 UF
(5) SECCG 2011UGA
(6) LSU 2008
(7) LSU 2011
(8) Clemson 2008
(9) AU 2008--ended the streak
(10) Capital One MSU--this one showed the guys what they could do if they just did the little things. Set the tone for 2011
Just missed: 2009 LSU, UT 2009 and UT 2007.
Outstanding list. I would put the 08' Clemson game up there, bc that was the start of where we are now.
I think that 2007 Arkansas game was huge for our program!
09 iron bowl has to be in the top ten imo
" If it feels good, you ain't doing it right!"
I can't come up with an ordered Top 10 but I would like to list the top 2 or 3 most significant of each year:
Arkansas - came from behind to win for first time in 4 years
Tennessee - UT was ranked and we had a LOT of distractions before this game
SEC Championship - not a win here but was very instrumental to our success in 2009
2009 - What a GREAT SEASON
SEC Championship - felt like this was the defacto MNC game
UT/LSU/AU - all important 4th quarter wins that year
2012 - obviously when we win the BCS
seriously why am i getting downvoted ?
dates are the reference i use to know which games you guys are talking about is that unreasonable somehow? im not trying to be the numeral police im trying to clarify.
2011 lsu game was a good football game but a terrible alabama outcome so i thought it was a fair question.
Nice list. Clemson top 10 for me and fl 2009 Mabey number 1 for me. Good topic.
1. UF 2009---beginning of the dynasty
2. LSU 2011
3. Texas 2009
4. UGA 2012
5. Clemson 2008--sent the message to the world that we were the Bama from the past. introduced Julio, Ingram, Barron, etc
6. Arkansas 2007--big time win that got the program the energy it needed to believe in Saban and set the stage for 2008.
7. AU 2008---ended that damn streak
8. LSU 2008---showed that Bama was now an elite team. Ended a 5/6 game losing streak. Saban return to Baton Rouge. OT.
9. AU 2009---AU had our number this day but we found a way to win.
10. Arkansas 2010---Epic comeback. prevented what could have been a really bad season.
Great list, Nash... can't think of anything I'd change. but that Clemson game in 2008 was special as it seemed mark "the beginning", as was Saban's first Independence bowl as you could feel the players "turning to" or "turning away" from the process during that bowl prep. That game in 2007 was the "hinge" that started Saban's "real" control of this program. I'd probably put both of those games as "honorable mentions".
1960 Les Paul
1) FLORIDA 2009 SECCG 2) TEXAS 2009 3) LSU 2011 4) GEORGIA 2008 5) AU 2009 6) VIRGINA TECH 2009 7) LSU 2008 8) CLEMSON 2008 9) ROCKY BLOCK 2009 10) Georgia 2012 seccg. In no specific order thats my top 10.
1) UF '09 - #2-10 aren't that close IMHO
2) LSU '11
3) Texas '09
4) UGA '12
5) Tennessee '09
6) UGA '08
7) LSU '08
8) AU '09
9) LSU '12
10) Arkansas '07 - tough call here versus LSU '09
Close: LSU '09, AU '08, Clemson '08, USCe '09, Arkansas '10
"Quit trying to make a play and do your job!"
New Member of The 247 Crew!
247Sports In partnership with CBS Sports