In partnership with CBSSports.com
The No. 1 'Bama fan community on the Internet
BOL message board for off-topic posts
Tailgating, recipes, cooking, food & drink
Buy, sell or swap tickets
You have no favorite boards.
The most viewed topics.
The most replied to topics.
The most up-voted topics.
The most down-voted topics.
The most up-voted posters.
The most down-voted posters.
The most followed posters.
- In the 2009 meeting, Alabama only won by 10 pulling away late. But Bama outgained the Hokies 498-155.
- The 2008 Hokies were coming off of a 10 win season and an ACC title.
- Last year, Tech ranked 79th in rushing offense. One spot behind Auburn.
- Logan Thomas, the Hokies QB was their leading rusher. Their top rushing RB JC Coleman is questionable for the game against Bama
- Va Tech ranked 81st in scoring offense in 2012, ranking them just behind Notre Dame and Missouri.
- Va Tech faced, on average, the 45th best scoring defense in the nation in 2012.
- Against teams ranked 50th or worse in scoring offense in 2012, the Alabama defense yielded 8.86 ppg, including 3 shutouts. No team scored more than 17 (LSU).
- Heralded Hokies QB Logan Thomas ranked 90th last year among D1 QBs in efficiency (115). That would have ranked last among QBs Alabama faced in 2012, including QBs at Western Kentucky and FAU.
- However, Thomas would have ranked 6th among QBs Bama faced in terms of total yardage
- Believe it or not, Alabama's offense faced 5 defenses last year ranked higher than Va Tech's 32nd ranked unit (4 of them in the top 20). Against defenses ranked better than 32nd, Bama averaged 31.2 ppg.
- Va Tech lost it's top 3 producing WRs from 2012. Their top returning WR is Demitiri Knowles who has 1 TD and 240 career yards on 19 catches.
- Alabama was ranked 12th in scoring offense in 2012. Against top 30 offenses, Va Tech allowed 38 points per game (48 UNC (5th), 28 FSU (12th), 38 Clemson (6th)).
- Against top 20 defenses, Tech averaged 23 points per game, the one outlier being a 37-0 win over Bowling Green. Removing that game drops them to a still respectable 19ppg against top defenses.
This post was edited by bamagrad03 11 months ago
The gap between our defense and the 20th is bigger than 20th to last.
45-6 or 51-10
I agree. It was just hard to find anything comparable given the defenses in the ACC. I guess you could look at FSU at 10th and say they were close. But there's really not much meat to put in there when Alabama's defense is part of the analysis.
Don't need any stats.....
Bama is going to run VT off the field Saturday. 38-0.
10 Major Poll National Titles (CFB record)
35 Bowl Wins (CFB record)
72 Wins over last 6 years (CFB record)
great stuff - thanks
Really good statistics. I know that took a lot of time.
I just can't get the Russell Athletic Bowl out of my head. That was some of the most inept quarterback play from two bowl teams that I may have ever seen. The QB efficiency ranking is absolutely not surprising.
Final bump for the late night crowd who may have missed this.
Just read that VT was the last OOC team to be leading bama in the 4th qtr... 17-16 2009. Damn it seemed like we took over a little before then.
I just can't find more than ten points for VT. Even with our 2's, I can't find more than ten points. 41-10.
Very nice and much appreciated. Some good stuff in there.
Follow me http://twitter.com/TimWatts_BOL
247Sports In partnership with CBS Sports