In partnership with CBSSports.com
The No. 1 'Bama fan community on the Internet
BOL message board for off-topic posts
Tailgating, recipes, cooking, food & drink
Buy, sell or swap tickets
You have no favorite boards.
The most viewed topics.
The most replied to topics.
The most up-voted topics.
The most down-voted topics.
The most up-voted posters.
The most down-voted posters.
The most followed posters.
10 Quick Thoughts:
1. It's fairly obvious that more than fans read these message boards. We walked into the perfect storm in Baton Rouge with our mindset on which NFL teams we could compete against. I think the team started to read their own press clippings and needed a wake-up call. Believe it or not, we're beatable. We're entitled to nothing.
2. Can we please stop with the posts about this team having the best practice week ever? Even if we did, it's starting to become bad juju.
3. Because we sold out to stop the run, our secondary was left exposed. Mettenberger had a great game, but he had some easy throws as well. Several times those receivers were wide open. Nick Perry and Deion Belue have a lot to work on.
4. I don't believe I was born the last time a true freshman rushed for over 100 yards on us.
5. Saturday night's game was monumental, because Les Miles exposed how to consistently defeat this football monster called Alabama. You line up and run the ball between the tackles. You throw to the open guy on 3rd down out of run formations. Play action fakes to keep us honest. Hold the ball for 40 minutes of the game. And you keep running the ball. Play stifling and aggressive defense. Take away the easy passes from our offense. Run 85+ plays on our defense. And even after all that, you still have to call a few aggressive plays on special teams and pray the ball bounces your way. I think we'll see a few teams begin to second-guess whether they can win a championship alone with the zone-read/spread offense. Defense wins championships.
6. Amari Cooper was sorely missed last night. But props to Kevin Norwood who has a way of showing up at the right time. Where was he the rest of the season?
7. As bad as our secondary played, gotta give it to our front 7. Stopped the run when we needed to, and made a crucial sack to seal the game.
8. AJ had one completed pass in the 2nd half before the final drive in which he put on a clinic on how to run the 2 minute offense with no timeouts. Still hasn't thrown an interception all season long. Why is this guy not a first round draft prospect? Don't tell me Geno Smith is better than this guy.
9. Pages 14-17 of our In-Game thread is Meltdown Gold. I wonder how many fans cancelled their trips to Miami during that 4th quarter.
10. In my opinion, LSU is the 2nd best team in the nation. They may not get that spot in the polls, but I'd take LSU in a neutral-site bowl game over Oregon, K-State, or Notre Dame.
This post was edited by BattlestarTide 20 months ago
LSU last night in BR was the second best team in the country and had #1 reeling on the ropes. However, I doubt you see that LSU team again for the rest of the season. I think Mett woke up this morning from whatever ghost possessed him and has no recollection of the game whatsoever. I fully expect him to go back to missing wide open receivers. LSU will probably get in a barn burner w/ Arky as usual.
LSU and Georgia are the same team. Tons of talent, erratic quarterback play and marginal coaching. Last night Mett had the game of his life, and although Les made some poor game day decisions he had this team ready for us. Georgia could be a stiff test as well in Atlanta or we could beat them by 28.
Disagree with one thing. They NEVER stopped our run game. Averaged 6ypc. Really think play calling along with an erratic AJ for most of the second half killed the offense.
5. You're right. That is the formula...if you have the personnel. No one outside of Red Stick does. Oregon doesn't and won't. Same for K State. Same for A&M. Notre Dame would but doesn't have the horses. UGA could have some success but they're Georgia.
Have to disagree here. Georgia could not match LSU's physicallity (sp?) in their wildest dreams.
This. They stuffed one run play when Lacy tried to bounce it outside, but otherwise we imposed our will running the ball. Most of those 3 and outs were all due to trying to throw the ball. When the other team can't stop you who cares about balance, run the damn ball.
It wasn't Bama fans who were talking about us beating NFL teams. Steve Spurrier joked about it on the Dan Patrick show and the national media picked up on that story and completely overblew it.
I'm tired of our fans having the mindset that when we struggle in the game, it must be because our team is complacent or had big heads. How about giving LSU credit for knocking us in the mouth. Mettenberger played the game of his life and a lot of the 3rd down conversions he made were picture-perfect throws. LSU is the only team in the nation that has similar/equal talent to us and has the right schemes on offense to give our defense problems.
This post was edited by FarLands81 20 months ago
Agree, we sorta panicked with 10 min left when we were down by three. Still had plenty of time to run it. But I'm not complaining, we hit the plays when it mattered most. RTR
THIS^^^^^ It killed the offense and the defense. If we had run the ball more, we move it more effectively, keep their defense on the field and ours off of it. Also, if we get up 21-3 and make Mett beat us b/c he had to throw to catch up, he probably wouldn't have finished the game.
1) Saban said after the game this game was not going to be a gimme, and the team realized that. AJ played the worse game of his career last night for 58 minutes, and we still won.
2) The team was well prepared and played well except for the passing game where we had a qb play like a freshman and lost two of our deep threats. LSU has been preparing since January to play this game, and it showed.
3) As I thought all along, our defensive secondary is overrated in zone coverage. Vinnie and Nick Perry struggled in zone coverage, but the LSU offense found the soft spot all night against us. LSU was well prepared for that part of the game. Saban even addressed that we must get better in this area. However, Milliner and Belue played very well last night in man coverage. Mettenburger made incredible throws and the WRs caught those throws. It was similar to Garcia or Tebow(08 SEC Championship).
4) That true freshman had more carries than our entire team combined. When a teams runs the ball 40 times and they are well coached, it will be tough to beat. There is not another team in the country that could do that against us. Georgia will pretend that they can, but they are soft and lack a Copeland(a true punishing FB) type player.
5) Guess what--any football team would lose if the opposing team can throw for 300 and have moderate success running the ball. LSU played its best game in three years, and we still won. Everyone knows that if you want to beat Bama you have to be able to RUN and pass. BUT to be successful against us with the run, requires a power running game that only LSU possesses. Also, THEY DID NOT STOP OUR RUN. Go look at the statistics and make another judgement on that please. LSU had a whole 133 yards on the ground against us. That is not a lot considering they ran the ball 49 times for 2.71 ypc. Compared to our 166 yards on 25 carries for 6.6 ypc.
Didn't Les Expose how to beat us Last November when they, um, beat us?
And I'm about sick of LSU having an off week to play us which seems like every year. They looked to have the fresher legs last night.
Agree, it was apparent throwing on early downs was the game plan. But Bama would have been better served running more.
All I know is I loath the corndogs and we were staring at losing three straight regular season games in a row to those clowns. I loved the dramatic win but am still looking forward (outside the BCS game obviously) to us playing at the top of our game in the game that counts the most. (regular season game with the potential to make or break our season) I don't know if its tightness or what but we made more mistakes in this years and last years Lsux games than we did the rest of the year.
Thanks for this - I am all for people posting opinions but no way LSU doesn't beat anyone else in the country last night. Scary thing for everyone else is that, as Eli said in closing last night, "the Champ got off the canvas, Alabama wins, Alabama wins." I can't remember a better victory over a better opponent.
Blah Blah Blah
They stopped our WILL to run. Go back and watch the 3rd and 4th quarter. We would throw an incomplete on first down, then we'd rush for 3 or 4 yards on 2nd down, and then we'd throw another incomplete on 3rd down. Punt on 4th. They put us in situations where we wouldn't or couldn't run on 3rd downs.
We were 1-9 on 3rd downs the entire game.
247Sports In partnership with CBS Sports